PDA

View Full Version : Can FETs be install on the first version Mini X ESC?

modelmotobikes
05-22-2003, 12:30 AM
I look high and low and cannot find any answer in this forum, maybe I am looking at the wrong place.

My question: Can I install extra FETs on my older Mini X ESC. I cannot see any extra space / holes to install them.

Anyone can help? Thanks in advance

Hooters Driver
05-22-2003, 01:17 PM
There are no holes on your PCB for additional FETs but you can add FETs to the speed control. When you buy the new FETs they will come with much longer leads than the originals. If you remove the original FETs and solder them directly onto the new FETs you can then solder the new FETs onto the board. It may not be the prettiest installation but it is functional. This is the same basic way that all FET upgrades are performed on the mini-z.

helldriver
06-25-2003, 06:47 AM
Anybody knows the type of FET?
Thank you.

Hooters Driver
06-25-2003, 02:39 PM
I don't even remember now where I got my FETs but I think TinyRC has them. If not him, one of the resllers carries them. I think I paid $5 for the pair.

I also don't remember the part number but if you look at the ones one your speed control you can get that information. With that info you can order them from National Semicunductor, Richardson Electronics, or any number of other electronics parts suppliers. They'll be much cheaper from the electronics houses at less than $1 a piece. However, if you order from the mini-x suppliers you can add them on to your order for other parts and save the shipping charges.

helldriver
06-25-2003, 10:19 PM
How many FET you have installed and how good?
Ty.

Hooters Driver
06-25-2003, 10:34 PM
I installed a pair of them. I did this mod at the same time I performed a number of other performance mods so I can't say if it helped the performance any. I did the mod because I wanted to insure that I would not burn up the speed control, not because I felt like it would increase the performance of the car.

helldriver
06-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Well, it makes me more curious. What specs you got there? Cells, motor and so on?

Hooters Driver
06-26-2003, 12:43 AM
I am running two stock motors with ball bearing cans on six cells. I haven't upgraded the motors yet because I want to be sure the speed control can handle these before I throw more at it.

You can see some pictures of my car in the mini-x gallery.

helldriver
06-26-2003, 03:27 AM
Nice car. How fast it can go with 6 cells? Better speed? Better handling? I'm waiting for my Mini X to come. So, I dont wanna had her slower than my Z.
Ty.

Hooters Driver
06-26-2003, 12:47 PM
The car is extremely fast now. All I have to compare it to is my friends dtm x4 with a 180 motor and 6 cells (same setup as a Micro RS4 but in a lighter package). My car is much faster than his. I have done a number of suspension mods as well and that has helped the handling a great deal. With all the changes my car is almost twice as heavy now as it was when I first got it but the weight doesn't seem to have hurt it too much.

There are some pictures of the chassis in one of the other threads on this board but I don't remember which thread it is.

helldriver
06-26-2003, 11:34 PM
Very interesting!
I try to search the pics u meant. I'm getting curious about it. What kind of susp. mods u did?
TY

Hooters Driver
06-27-2003, 01:50 AM
My suspension mods included increasing the travel in both directions, replacing the springs with coil springs that can later be swapped for coil over shocks, polishing all the surfaces of the ball diffs to improve their performance, and grinding down the nubs on the dogbones so they don't bind up.

I looked for the post that contained the pictures of my chassis but couldn't find them. I know they are somewhere on the mini-x board. If I find them I'll let you know.

helldriver
06-27-2003, 02:09 AM
Yes, the coil spring would do better than just a spring. The problem is I don't know how to mod it until I see your pics. So, dont keep me waiting too long
Thank you.
:D

Hooters Driver
06-27-2003, 03:50 AM
Finally found the thread and it was right under my nose. When the pictures were taken I had just finished testing the car so it was pretty dirty but at least you can see most of the mods.

http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10910

Since those pictures were taken I have redisgned the rear spring setup to be similar to the front. The single rear spring setup pictured allowed too much body roll and caused the car to push in the corners.

helldriver
06-27-2003, 04:06 AM
:eek:
I had downloaded that pics and watch it many times! Thank you verymuch. It's a bit dirty but looks great! U use 2 motors together. Great. How u balance that motors? Hmm....it's a heavy mod u got there! By the mid of next week, I will have my X. I'll be give you tons of q's then. Hahahaa...
Rgds.

Hooters Driver
06-27-2003, 04:25 AM
I didn't worry about balancing the motors. I used ball bearing cans with stock armatures, brushes, and magnets. I think the only thing balancing would affect is the handling in the corners but that is easy enough to adjust by other methods.

helldriver
06-27-2003, 04:52 AM
Yeah, it's easy for a real racers, huh...;)
It may be good if u share your turning method to this forum. Speed is not everything if u get the wrong turning technic, right?
I'm waiting...:D

Hooters Driver
06-27-2003, 01:58 PM
No problem. The same principles apply no matter what size the car is.

Here are a few things to try whan adjusting your mini-x:

If the car is tight turning both directions:

1. Loosen the front diff/tighten the rear diff

2. Use softer tires in the front/ harder tires in the back

3. Put softer springs in the front/stiffer springs in the rear

4. Lower the front ride height/raise the rear ride height

5. Move weight from the front to the back

Do just the opposite of the above if the car is loose.

If the car is tight turning left:

1. Use a softer right front spring

2. Use a stiffer right rear spring

3. Raise the right rear ride height

4. Lower the right front ride height

5. Raise the left front ride height

6. Use a softer right front tire

7. Move weight to the left side of the car

Do just the opposite if the car is tight turning right

These are only a few of the adjustments you can make. I'm sure there are many other changes that will improve the handling. Some are probably more effective than the ones I've listed.

Maybe we should start a thread about setup tricks and tips.

Here are a couple of driving tips:

If the car is tight entering the turn drive into the corner deeper and then tap the brake while turning the wheel. This will turn the car so you can get back on the gas. If your esc is a stock mini-x part and doesn't have a brake you can try this same trick with reverse but it's very hard to get right.

If the car is loose entering the turn, let off the gas early and coast through the middle of the corner then get back on the gas as early as possible.

helldriver
06-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Thanks for infos, Mic.
We're waiting for another news from u.
Salam.

helldriver
07-01-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by modelmotobikes
I look high and low and cannot find any answer in this forum, maybe I am looking at the wrong place.

My question: Can I install extra FETs on my older Mini X ESC. I cannot see any extra space / holes to install them.

Anyone can help? Thanks in advance
Unfortunately, I got the old version esc.
:mad:
Anyone know which one the FET? If I'm not wrong the type is V30010. Pls correct me.

Hooters Driver
07-01-2003, 01:22 PM
That is the correct number. I believe they are made by International Rectifier.

helldriver
07-01-2003, 10:42 PM
So, the stacking methode will much help? Should I take off the existing FET in order to stack with the new ones?

Hooters Driver
07-03-2003, 01:27 AM
It is easier if you remove the old FETs first. Pull them off the board, solder them to the new FETs (the new ones will have longer leads) and then solder the pair you have put together onto the board.

helldriver
07-03-2003, 05:49 AM
hmm....sounds easy but I have to find the fets 1st.
I'll let u know the results.
Thanks.

helldriver
08-14-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Hooters Driver
It is easier if you remove the old FETs first. Pull them off the board, solder them to the new FETs (the new ones will have longer leads) and then solder the pair you have put together onto the board.

From my last pic about FETs, which FETs should I stack? The left or the right ones?
Thank you.

Hooters Driver
08-14-2003, 05:15 PM
If I were you I would double up on all four of the FETs. As best I can tell current to the motor travels through at least three of the FETs and probably passes through the forth one as well. So just to be safe I would double all four. Can anyone else think of a reason not to do this mod?