PDA

View Full Version : Difference in Suspension Springs?

cryhavok
09-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Hello all,
I got my bit about 2 months ago (Nissan Skyline GTR Castrol SE) and have had a great amount of fun with it. I've been lurking the boards for a while, and finally decided to register. Anyway, I wanted to upgrade it a little and had this question. At the QFM shop, what's the difference between the Gold, Silver, and Tomy micro springs? Is there any besides price/color? Thanks a bunch in advance!

MTL
09-16-2002, 05:40 PM
heh i have no idea...
i wondered too

but i think its just color...but possibly its also material...the gold ones are probably copper..but im not sure

i woulda painted mine red or black :D

tinyrc
09-17-2002, 01:35 PM
cryhavok, I've moved this to QFM's support forum, so hopefully they will be able to help you out. Btw, welcome to the Forums!

cryhavok
09-17-2002, 03:45 PM
Ok, Thanks MTL for the response. I was hoping to get some people that owned any of the springs to post with the differences. Hopefully the support guys can clear this up for me and anyone else that doesn't know. Thanks for the welcome also!

QFM Racing
09-18-2002, 12:10 AM
All springs are identical in size, dimension, and tension. The gold have actual gold plating, and the silver, actual silver plating. The Tomy springs are just plain copper, with a decent shiny finish. The gold and silver are not Tomy but are made to the Tomy spec.

MTL
09-23-2002, 01:23 AM
if i were to say ....paint them with a thin layer of red...would they still perform the same? would they be stiffer?
im going for show here :D

QFM Racing
09-23-2002, 11:08 AM
Well, yes you could paint them although when the paint hardens, I would assume that it add increased tension to the springs. Also, when the springs are compressed, this may crack the thin layer of paint on them. I wouldnt recommend it. Perhaps you could just try silver springs instead? They are a very neutral color and will match any color scheme. For more effect, paint your front axles black with a perm marker. This way, your undercarriage will disappear, and only the springs will show.

cryhavok
09-26-2002, 03:43 PM
Hmm good suggestion QFM, I'm probably going to go do that now just to make it look better.

MTL, Maybe you could get a really good red marker and just color the silver springs that way, like in a few coats.