PDA

View Full Version : Finally joining the Epoch club

bluemax_1
04-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Hey, just joined the Epoch club and waiting for my spec-2 WRC to arrive in the mail. Ended up getting a Kyosho Perfex to go with it since there seemed to be some dissention on the quality of the Epoch's controller.

Well I'll see if this'll be it for running in my carpeted living room. The DigiQ Rs I've got are pleasingly quick for cars that small but they sure are squirrelly little things. They're so short the handling's a bit of a chore at full speed, not to mention the differential steering thing takes some getting used to. as for the Mini-x, awesome little car. Handles great and has good speed and all, but it's a tiny bit big for my living room, and if I ever get around to rewinding the motor, the living room's gonna seem even smaller.

So here's hoping that the Epoch will be the perfect compromise in size and handling and fitting into the available space department.

BTW, don't see any listing for the 4-cell batt pack here at tinyrc. Anyone know what's up with that? Do I have to go somewhere else to get it then? And I asked this before, but I guess building a pack out of 4 200mAH cells isn't such a great idea huh? I've heard the 4-cell packs with 120 or 160mAH batts already get the little thing quite warm by the end of a run, so I guess there's not much point in using higher capacity cells since it might risk burning something out?

chelboed
04-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Dunno what your carpet is like, but when I first got my spec2, it wouldn't run on my living room medium weave carpet.

I installed the soft springs and the front's came with teeny spacers. This in-turn made my front suspension longer travel, which set it up higher off the floor. I also loosened the rear suspension travel screw raising the rear end a bit. The end result is a super plush ride with the ability to move on my medium weave carpet. I can only go about 5mph on it because of wheel spin, but at least it goes.

bluemax_1
04-16-2003, 07:24 PM
Hmmm.... I've got very short pile carpet so I should be alright. After all, if a DigiQ can run on it, I think the Epoch should be great. Tried running my mini-x on the carpet in another room though and found that it got left high and dry on some uneven sections (different carpet). Might have to try getting the softer springs though. I'll see when the car arrives.