PDA

View Full Version : sorry im a newb but i have some ?'s

samurapanda817
04-14-2003, 10:33 PM
hi ok, im am a newb......obviously to start off im thinking of getting an RX7 seen here http://www.minizstore.com/view_ProductDetail.asp?pID=52
now can anyone tell me if thats a rip or the real deal.......secondly what kinda hop-ups and mods should i look at getting right off the bat...turbos, engine mods, wheels rims......i was thinking about the wide rims and wide tires made by pn racing http://www.minizstore.com/view_ProductDetail.asp?pID=111
and the tires to go with........any info would be great and also how is the maintanence ive been into bit char's for close to 2 years now and have been looking at these with dreamy eyes for quite some time now cool thanks in advanced.....Samuraipanda817

arch2b
04-15-2003, 03:31 PM
i would suggest that you register on tinyrc's sister site mini-zracer.

things to look for on the genuine item, kyosho label. the cheapest one is about $90, new. if it's less, then it's either used or a hiepo knock-off.

first hop ups to get:
dry bearings
ball diff
lock nuts
o plate (works like h plate and roll shocks)

then:
high grip tires/alloy wheels(mostly for show)
upgrade motor

all of this can be found in mzr's shop;) you'll have to search to find what wheels the rx7 uses and can handle. (narrow/semi-wide/wide)

i started off with bit's as well. you'll love the z's, check out the overlands as well. (i have nice pictures of both in my album) the maintainence is similar to the bit's, just more parts. if you take of it, it'll take care of you!

samurapanda817
04-15-2003, 05:49 PM
awesome so Adjustable Wheelbases of 126mm, 130mm, 134mm would be accepts all size tires? and i was looking at the overroad thingys but i like the on road stuff.....how does it handle carpet, hardwood and concrete( the z's) i like how the streets look....but does anyone know if there are plans or mods for a rally car? that would be awesome! thanks arch2b also what type of motor upgrade would you recommend? awesome thanks a lot

arch2b
04-15-2003, 06:50 PM
this can get confusing-
there are 3 wheelbases: sort medium and long
there are several track widths and these vary and are body specific. most of the race cars have wides (wide rear and narrow fronts with an offset). however you can squeaze wides in the front of some of the cars. you'll have to do alot of reading on mzr to find out which will fit with what if you plan on customizing the wheels setup.

z's work on carpet but would highly recommend a better motor as the carpet slows it down.
hardwood is fun while tricky. you need really grippy tires (foam or something like 10 deg.).
concrete or asphalt is what i run on. goor grippy tires help but becareful, too much grip will make it squirley and easy to wreck. i would also recommend a wide body car for concret or asphalt as they typically handle better and less prone to flip and rolling on concrete/asphalt will do some damage.

alot of people have tried rally mods. the most sucessful so far have been using overland chassis'swith rally car bodies. they look good. the problem with racer rally conversions is the racer has such low ground clearance. again, search mzr and you'll see some nice stuff.

i'm biased toward mzr products as they are of quality and reasonably priced. the shop has a great tire selection, ball diff, o plate and motors, which i have except the ball diff. i would put off turbos/turbo motors until you have had your fun with your first z. you will trash it good and then get a new body, the new ones are very nice! (i'm getting the '00 cr5) then get a turbo motor. until then i would go with mzr's a-bb (faster than the x-speed). i have 2 of them. very good!

my setup:
body: toyota altezza
tires: mzr ultrasoft foams- very grippy
wheels: square 10 spoke inch ups- 1mm larger diameter alloy wheels
alloy lock nuts- the plastic ones are crap and will strip
alloy knuckles- stock ones can break if you hit something hard enough (1 deg. camber are good for racing)
alloy toe-in tie rod- w/ alloy kuckles, reduces steering slop
alloy front bulkhead- eye candy
ball diff w/ ceramic balls- much better performance
mzr g-10 cf o plate- helps w/ traction in the rear, great

samurapanda817
04-15-2003, 10:21 PM
argh...i found almost everything but i can find the stupid motor a-bb motor i cannot find it on mzr.........well im gonna go ahead and buy my stuff and hopefully it gets here list week! hehe cant wait....if you see any of those motors let me know thanks

arch2b
04-15-2003, 10:56 PM
sorry, you have to get them quickly when there in stock. they go very fast. you can email the shop and ask when they will be in stock again, or post it in the customer support section.

so what did you end up getting? be careful, z's are just as addicting as bits.

samurapanda817
04-16-2003, 05:52 PM
alloy lock nuts,alloy knuckles,alloy toe-in tie rod, ball diff w/ ceramic balls, mzr g-10 cf o plate,dry bearings, soon to order my rx7 alum. rims and tires yay yay! i cannot wait it will be kinda soon i get to have my stuff around monday whoop whoop! then i get to instal hop ups! the great ting is i just got my entire 1st floor redone in hardwood!! woot woot! perfect test grounds! its gonna be fun
now...i just gotta get that rx7 bit! yahoo yahoo! im prolly gonna need some help withthe instal.......are there any special tools that Ill need? this rocks!

arch2b
04-16-2003, 05:59 PM
a philips screw driver, nut driver for the alloy lock nuts, allen wrench for the set screws on the ball diff collar.

as with the bits, drive it around abit before you install all the mods so you can fully appreciate what some of them do for you.

yea, these are really fun! i enjoy taking it apart and puting it back together as much as driving them.

samurapanda817
04-16-2003, 08:56 PM
another question is what motor dont require a turbo or mosfet install i dont wanna do that crap yet any ideas?

arch2b
04-16-2003, 09:07 PM
some non-turbo motors:
minizracer a-bb ($17?)
minizworkshop motor for stock miniz ($14)
kyosho x-speed ($22)
nml (no motor limit) made a non-turbo motor but i don't hink he still does ($??)
chaser rc m'z hand wound stock motor ($24)
pn racing s01 ($18)

most of the aftermarket motors claim and strive to be faster than the x-speed. i only have the mzr a-bb so i can't comment on the others. you can do a search on mzr about them to find some reviews. i'm thinking about trying the minizworkshop motor it's cheap enought to test anyway.

mzr, chaser rc and pn racing have good reputations for stock motors

samurapanda817
04-16-2003, 09:25 PM
ok i was looking at the s01 and the m'z i dunno which one to try...hmm decisions decisions....

arch2b
04-17-2003, 09:31 PM
let me know how whichever one you choose performs as i'm interested in testing some motors.

which rx7 did you get? what alloy rx7 wheels?

i have square 10 spoke inch ups and love them. the best alloy wheel manufacturer next to z-speed. you'll see it in the price as well, ouch..

just let me know if you have any questions with installing any of the hop ups, most are straight forward.

SubaruWrxSti
04-28-2003, 10:18 PM
forget the friggen s01, go ahead and get the so3, its the s02(high tourqe) motor with a bearing case. All the people around me. You know what i mean mr. sykos.