PDA

View Full Version : Charging question?

ruddfan
04-12-2003, 11:35 AM
I found a 6vdc 200ma transformer so I thought I'd try it on my epoch charger. (It fits into the charger and not the not the car) So I plug it in, hook up the epoch, and the charge light will stay on as long as I'm pushing down on the charge button, as soon as I let off, the charge light goes out. I know i have read that people were using different AC/DC adaptors than the stock so does anybody know whats wrong. Anybody else experience this? Wondering if you HAVE to use stock converter?

deoblehc
04-12-2003, 11:04 PM
I use an 800mah variable transformer. It's like 3-12v. When I put it on 6v, the light is dim. I bet if it was 200mah instead of 800mah, it would do the same that yours does. I would get one that plugs into the car. If you use 6v at 200mah, it would take forever to charge the car.

On 6v with my 800, I charge for 15-20 min. I get great performance and good run time.

On 9v I usually plug into the dock and double shot the first one and single the next 2. Then double shot the 4th and single the next 2. You get the picture. I get great performance and run-time this way.

Some say that that's too much voltage at that amperage, but it doesn't hurt my cells or make them very warm. They get a little warm on the double shot. If this makes it not last quite as long, I don't care. I will just get new cells later. I love going fast. I have more fun going fast for a year than going not so fast for 5 years.

ruddfan
04-13-2003, 09:03 AM
Thanks for info, I guess I'll head back to RS and get a different transformer. I had found a 9v 320 mah transformer on my cordless phone and it plugs into the base but must not make a good connection because it doesnt even turn the light on. trial and error I guess.

ruddfan
04-14-2003, 08:42 PM
I bought a 3-12 variable transformer (600mah) at wal-mart today. WOW- what a difference it makes on run times. I've only done a double charge so far and got 10 min run time! Definately recomend shedding those batts in the charger ASAP! Much happier with the car now, of course, now I need springs and tires for that slick kitchen floor!

deoblehc
04-14-2003, 10:36 PM
What voltage setting did you use? I usually use 9v for a double shot. The cells get a teeny bit warm, but performance is rockin'.

ruddfan
04-15-2003, 08:45 AM
I was using the 6v because I didnt want to cook the batts. Does using 9v have an advantage over 6v. I'll have to try it and see since it only warms the batteries.
Thanx!

bluemax_1
04-15-2003, 06:12 PM
3 billion AC adapters and none will work? Crappola....

So I take it, the Epoch charger doesn't have a regulator built into the unit, meaning I MUST have an adapter putting out the right voltage and current?

I've got 2 or 3 AC adapters ranging in output from 1000mA to
7A(obviously overkill) but they're all 12V. So now I have to go and buy yet ANOTHER one?

I suppose 12V at 1000mA would cook the batts?

chelboed
04-15-2003, 08:25 PM
I guess it would work, just leave it on for 9 seconds though.

bluemax_1
04-16-2003, 07:31 PM
:confused: you mean charge it for only 9 seconds at a time at 12V 1000mA? I guess it might not burn anything out but is that even enough to get a charge?

Might have the problem solved though. I just bought Epochracer34's spec-2 and it supposedly comes with charger already modified to plug into a wall outlet. Guess I'll have to see when it gets here. Hmmm... and all of a sudden, I have 2 spec-2 Subaru WRC's. One brand new with the stock 3-cell and the other used with a 4-cell. Of course, i don't technically have them yet, since they haven't arrived.:(

chelboed
04-16-2003, 11:06 PM
You are a PUNK!! I wanted to buy that one. You got a good deal, man. I wonder if he still has the sp1.

Anyway, I was being sarcastic about the 9 seconds. I wouldn't touch that car with a 12volt power source. I just did a 5cell mod and I still use 9volts. I won't go into detail about it because I am going to start a new thread.